by Scott Benson, Patriots Daily Staff
As you know, the PD War Room staff was recently asked by our Browns-loving friends at No Logo Needed to make the Pats’ four selections in a two-round mock draft featuring fan blogs from across the country.
You may remember our out-of-left-field selection of RB Knowshon Moreno with the 23rd pick. Hopefully, we redeemed ourselves – and addressed the Pats’ need for pass rushing help – with the selection of highly-touted Cincinnati DE-OLB Connor Barwin at pick 34.
Here’s how the mock has developed over the second round:
- 33. Lions – JAMES LAURINAITIS, LB, OSU
- 34. Patriots (from Kansas City) – CONNOR BARWIN, LB, CINCINNATI
- 35. Rams – BRIAN ROBISKE, WR, OSU
- 36. Browns – WILLIAM MOORE, S, MISSOURI
- 37. Seahawks – ROBERT AYERS, DL, TENNESSEE
- 38. Bengals – BRANDON PETTIGREW, TE, OKLAHOMA STATE
- 39. Jaguars – RON BRACE, DT, BOSTON COLLEGE
- 40. Raiders – MICHAEL JOHNSON, DE, GEORGIA TECH
- 41. Packers – WILLIAM BEATTY, OT, CONNECTICUT
- 42. Bills – MAX UNGER, G/C, OREGON
- 43. 49ers – JOSH FREEMAN, QB, KANSAS STATE
- 44. Dolphins (from Washington) – DARIUS BUTLER, CB, CONNECTICUT
- 45. Giants (from New Orleans) – MARCUS FREEMAN, OLB, OHIO STATE
- 46. Texans – TYRONE McKENZIE, OLB, SO. FLORIDA
- 47. Patriots (from San Diego) –
Well, look at that. It’s our turn again!
With the 15th pick of the Second Round (47th overall), the New England Patriots select:
The Pats get Ziggy with it (their third selection of the 2009 draft) as veteran linemen Vince Wilfork, Richard Seymour and Jarvis Green all enter the final year of their contracts, and stalwart Ty Warren comes off no less than three off-season surgeries.
What has always been a strength for the Patriots could soon be an area of profound need, so Bill Belichick’s personnel team strikes here with one of the draft’s top d-line prospects still on the board at 47. Hood has the right size (6-3, 300) and skill mix (bulk and strength at the point of attack, with the necessary short-area quickness) to project as an end in New England’s front three, and his experience (started 32 games over his college career), intelligence (already graduated) and consistent commitment to football lead us to believe he can contribute right away.
Our old pal Josh McDaniels and the Denver Broncos are on the clock next, with selection #48. We’ll be back with our fourth and final selection of the mock in 11 picks.
Scott Benson can be reached at email@example.com